People singing “Happy Birthday”.
If you’re anything like us, you love the special treatment you get once a year — the free drink or appetizer at dinner, the freebie beauty gift, the cute email from your dentist.
If you love receiving those birthday discounts and gifts, why not give them to your clients, too?
We’re here to walk you through the basics of how to ask for your clients’ birthday — and what to send them when their big day rolls around.
In this blog:
- Why You Should Collect Birthdays from You Clients
- How to Collect Client Birthdays
- How to Create Client Birthday Emails
- What to Include in Your Client Birthday Emails
- 3 Birthday Email Templates for Your Clients
Why You Should Collect Birthdays from Clients
Your small business allows you to create and build relationships with your client over time.
You see them frequently and spend a significant amount of time with them during appointments.
They depend on you for the service you provide. There’s a special bond there.
By sending them your best birthday wishes, you’re cementing how much you care about your clients.
And, let’s be honest, it’s also a way to promote your business through a feel-good measure.
Think about your birthday month when emails start pouring into your inbox with discounts for just being born.
If you’re anything like me – come July – you tend to treat yourself…a lot. 🥳
If you send me a discount, or even just well wishes, you’re at the top of my list. Your business is where I’m going to spend Grandma’s birthday check.
But to do this, you have to have your clients’ birthdays on file. Don’t worry, we’ve got that covered.
Getting the Word Out:
A Beginner’s Guide to Email Marketing and Automated Text MessagesGet the Guide
How to Collect Client Birthdays
If you haven’t been collecting birthdays already as you save clients to your list, it’s still easy to add them now. There are two quick options for filling in the calendar:
Option 1: Ask when they come in for their next appointment and enter them into their client profile.
Sample birthday request message:
Hello, Kenzie! Fringe Salon is starting a new birthday program where you get 15% off a booking during your birthday month!
All you have to do is reply with your birthday or update your client profile, and you’ll automatically get a birthday discount at the beginning of your birthday month.
Our video tutorial is public, so feel free to include the link in all your emails to make sure there’s no confusion.
One email and you’re off and running. ✅
How to Create Birthday Emails for Clients
Great, you have all your clients’ birthdays in their profiles. Now what?
Using the Automated Marketing feature on Schedulicity, you can set up and customize automatic birthday emails. (Who has time to remember to send them every month?)
Step 2: Find a birthday template and write your custom birthday message. Include a birthday discount or other gift, using the email template:
Birthday Email Template for Your Clients:
Happy birthday, Kenzie! This month, it’s time to celebrate YOU!
As one of Fringe Salon’s beloved clients, we included a birthday gift of 15% off your booking when you use the link below. We’ll also have a glass of birthday bubbly waiting for you when you come in! We can’t wait to see you!
How it works: The birthday emails will automatically be sent on the first of their birthday month. Your clients have until the end of the month to use their birthday discount. They can book up to a full year out.
What to Include in Your Client Birthday Email Message
We mentioned this above because a discount is the easiest gift to include, especially with it built into your “Schedule Now” button in the email.
Gift Bag Ideas
- Stylists, skincare professionals, and estheticians might consider curating a gift bag with a couple of trial-size products you sell.
- Massage therapists could offer a vial of massage oil with a small print out about hand/foot/scalp massage.
- Personal trainers and fitness professionals could present protein powder samples or healthy snacks, a sweatband, or shoelaces.
- Adding an extra (yet small) complimentary service to their booking is a great gift. If you’re doing a manicure, add a paraben wax hand treatment to it. Upgrade their haircut to include a deep conditioning.
- Create a service exclusive to birthday clients – a 30-min one-on-one yoga practice at special price, a birthday blow-out service before they go out for dinner, or a 30-min massage if booked on their actual birthday complete with champagne.
- Add some extra fun to their appointment. Have some bubbly ready to pour, a birthday cookie to take home, or a birthday card signed from you!
3 Special Birthday Email Templates for Your Clients
Template for a Birthday Discount on a Service or Class
It’s your birthday month! We figured we’d treat you to something extra special. This month only, book an [XYZ service or class] with us for [discount amount].
Enjoy that birthday cake, and we’ll see you soon!
Template for a Birthday Deal on a Class
We heard it’s your birthday month, and we’d love to celebrate with you! Come on down to see us and get a little workout in — on us. Book one class this month and get one free!
Cheers to you!
Template for a Birthday Package Deal
It’s your birthday month! We’d love to treat you to something extra special.
Our “icing on the cake” birthday package lets you bundle [# of services or classes] for [% or $ amount they save by buying at once].
Snag it this month only. It’s one of our best deals of the year! Make a wish on those candles, and we’ll see you soon!